Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Technical Articles

Technical Articles Extensive step by step articles, and threads of high technical reference value.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
frankenstien
Registered Member

frankenstien is on a distinguished road
Default th350 failed intermediate sprag

ost 2nd gear at the end of summer, let it sit till i had time to pull and examine.

well grenade sums it up, the outer race broke, thats a TCI hardened outer race, most of the roller clutch is in the pan, the bushing from the intermediate drum siezed on the pump shaft and un pressed it self from the drum.

also damaged the bolts that hold the front pump togeather and have some metal paste in the lip seal of the intermediate drum.

the input shaft, front pump and intermediate drum were stuck together, i had to knock them apart with a hammer and block of wood.

anything else i should look at? didnt look like it damaged the case.

i have a new upgraded 36 element sprag intermediate drum and new rebuild kit coming with better steels and clutches, red altos and koleene.

also, can anyone recommend a good set of snap ring pliers, havent got the rest of the trans out

2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel- 452hp/962tq on P3's dyno

2015 Ford Expedition EL - Wife's rig
frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
frankenstien
Registered Member

Default Re: th350 failed intermediate sprag

heres some pics, sorry about size, tried to resize and wasnt working so good
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

I believe I would be looking at a TH400, TH475 or later electronic versions 4l60 and 4l80e's. Inherently stronger but as with most things, stronger means heavier, bigger and usually costlier.

Any mechanical device can be strengthened within certain limits., just as it can be broken. I often wonder how many off road automatic transmissions have failed due to trans fluid starvation from prolonged extreme off camber situations?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 12-20-2015 at 08:47 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
frankenstien
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
I believe I would be looking at a TH400, TH475 or later electronic versions 4l60 and 4l80e's. Inherently stronger but as with most things, stronger means heavier, bigger and usually costlier.

Any mechanical device can be strengthened within certain limits., just as it can be broken. I often wonder how many off road automatic transmissions have failed due to trans fluid starvation from prolonged extreme off camber situations?
i have looked into a th400/205 setup, and they seem to run for about 500-1000 on CL. which to me is insane, there's so many out there, then i have to cut the drive lines, then rebuild trans and re seal t case(most likely)

if i ever find a good deal on a th400, ill pick it up. but i dont seem to be that lucky.

the clutches were still good, no burning. TCI claims my new kit will hold 800-850HP, but they didnt say with what weight vehicle, i am only really at the 500hp mark and barley. found quite a bit on the net that 550 with the upgrades i have should lead a long(ish)life. the transmade it about 7-8 years of abuse

and as for newer stronger transmission being more costly, yes! my allison cost alot just in parts, like 5 times what the parts for this fix cost

Old 12-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #5
frankenstien
Registered Member

side note, found my book and reading through it, apparently the steel sleeve on the stator of the pump is supposed to be there.....either way its beat to hell

Old 12-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
wasillashack
Registered Member

TH400/205 on CL now, $500 FYI, I understand about all the costs involved, especially all the costs of mods made necessary by swapping trans types.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
frankenstien
Registered Member

i talked with TCI transmissions, it had their kit in it before and i bought my new parts from. we talked about my power level, weight, tire size and gear ratio, etc. he seemed pretty confident that if i do my part and everything is with in spec it should hold together. time will tell.

i may just keep an eye out for a cheap th400 and t case, and see about piecing a drivetrain together, and maybe drivesnhafts as well, i do have a bigblock in the back yard that is in need of some love, maybe swap it all in at once

Old 12-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
frankenstien
Registered Member

took some more apart today, the 1-2 accumulator spring was broken, into 4 pieces, probably not helping my cause

Old 12-22-2015, 02:47 AM   #9
wasillashack
Registered Member

Sounds like an initial failure of some parts that had a domino effect with other parts.???

Old 12-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
frankenstien
Registered Member

from the research i did, that spring acts as a cushion, some people remove it, resulting in a harder shift, which can damage the sprag, or in my case, if the spring broke in high rpm and made the shift that much harder(my shifts are beyond firm into rude already) and those parts have had 8 years of abuse, burnouts, shifting into 2nd during a hard launch breaking loose and catching etc.

but its the first and only trans ive built so im pretty square,

went to youngs gear today, they didnt have anything i needed except the front pump and stator rings, so i have to grab my spare trans, and tear it apart and steal a snap ring and accumulator piston, which i will probably leave the spring out, i now have the hard parts to accomidate it, and im lucky that spring didnt gouge the bore for the accumulator piston.

they make a sleeve kit, but id rather not, i am curious to see the condition of my core trans that was originally in the truck when i got it, supposed to only have 29k miles on it, we shal see

Old 12-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
wasillashack
Registered Member

Given the treatment you describe, sounds like you got your investment out of the failed trans !

Old 12-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
frankenstien
Registered Member

Yes! It held up far better and longer than i expected, couple hiccups along the way.

Tore the bolts out of the 1st converter, broke flexplate
2nd converter failed.
Twisted off the end of the input shaft.

After this i should be good for a while we will see