Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
AK_Ford
Registered Member

AK_Ford is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuilding a 47/48re

Who has done it? I'm going to make the press tool to get the direct clutch pack apart, anything else I need? Any tips or tricks? I tore down plenty of 727's when I worked at a transmission shop, I never actually put one back together though
AK_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rebuilding a 47/48re

Yes, several times. They aren't too hard. 727 is the pretty much the same as the 47RH minus the overdrive. RE has a different governor. 48RE is similar, just upgrades done to the clutches, most are 2 sided.. steel and clutch material on same disc vs a steel plate and a clutch plate on the 47s. The 2 plates is a better setup, can handle more heat.

I don't think I have any pictures of the spring compressor I made but it took me about 2 mins. Just two piece of angle iron on the vertical and a flat plate across the top. Stick it in the press and compress the spring enough to pull the retaining clip. Doesn't have to be elaborate.

If you have questions talk to my buddy Chris Bowman of Bowman Transmission. He does them for a living. I posted his number in another trans thread on here. I don't have it handy to post.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 08-08-2013 at 11:39 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote