Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Hot Rodders

Hot Rodders All discussion topics related to hot rods and custom cars. 2 wheel drive only, but does not have to be technical in nature

Old 10-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Name Brand
Registered Member

Name Brand is on a distinguished road
Default My 1965 F-250

Since it's not a 4x4 and I have no plans to modify it far outside of stock, I figured I would show off my other truck here. It's a 1965 F-250 with the Custom Cab trim package, 352 V8 (Holley carb is stock from factory) with a 4 speed manual and Dana 60 rear with factory 4.56:1 gears. The front suspension is Twin I Beam (the first year Ford used it). I have an album on the link below;

http://groups.msn.com/slick60sfordfs...ab.msnw?Page=1

The truck is in need of some serious restoration; but for now it's gonna live in the driveway. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible when I eventually am able to rebuild/restore it.

The wildest thing on the truck is the extended cab. Ford did not make a two door Supercab until 1974. In 1965 they did begin making thier own four door crewcabs, but no two doors. I don't believe the cab was modified by a previous owner; I have seen two other 61-66 extended cabs on E-bay and a picture of one from South America. I believe these were the work of a conversion company, but I've found nothing to say that my truck even exists. No one else on the Slick 60's site (the link where my pictures are) had ever seen anything like it when I first posted pictures of it. I am still the only person there who can say the own an extended cab 61-66 Ford truck.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
sledheadak

sledheadak is on a distinguished road

rare old truck.be nice to see it restored.

"When the red river is flowing, always take the dirt road home"

This truck could be more politically incorrect only if it ran on whale oil and panda tears

OMFG!!! Midget Lesbians?? Only thing that could make it better is if one were an amputee!!!

I am running the new Italian tire, Deygo's
Deygo on snow, deygo on ice, when deygo go flat, deygo wap wap wap
sledheadak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
racinghoss
Registered Member

racinghoss is on a distinguished road

Where did you come by a rig as cool as that? You need to get to work on restoring it at least to a drivable condition. I love old Ford trucks. Maybe I will get pics of my '76 F-250 High-Boy on here. I dont have any in a digital format and the truck is in Illinois at my dad's place.

Sweet truck. Would love to see it running.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
AKBroncoII
Registered Member

AKBroncoII is on a distinguished road

That thing looks crazy. The rear tire placement in relation to the bed is kinda strange looking. Other than that. Sweet truck. That things gonna take a lot of work. So get started.
AKBroncoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
sledheadak

looks like a long bed that was shortened.

This truck could be more politically incorrect only if it ran on whale oil and panda tears

OMFG!!! Midget Lesbians?? Only thing that could make it better is if one were an amputee!!!

Old 10-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #6
samwe
Registered Member

samwe is on a distinguished road

What is the wheelbase on that?
samwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

Is a long bed 8 feet long? Or did they make them longer?
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
Guido
Outbound

Guido is on a distinguished road

The older Fords had 9' beds, but I don't remember when that ended. But that was the ONLY option for a long time, then in the late 60s I think they killed off the 9 footers and offered a 6.5' and an 8' bed.

Last edited by Guido; 10-12-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
74k5
Registered Member

74k5 is on a distinguished road

Thats a **** cool truck, lots of potential. If you dont restore it toss that body on a newer powerstroke... then put it on boggers and 60s he he
74k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #10
sledheadak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
The older Fords had 9' beds, but I don't remember when that ended. But that was the ONLY option for a long time, then in the late 60s I think they killed off the 9 footers and offered a 6.5' and an 8' bed.
a friend had a 64 short bed 2wd.nice little truck.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
samwe
Registered Member

samwe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74k5
Thats a **** cool truck, lots of potential. If you dont restore it toss that body on a newer powerstroke... then put it on boggers and 60s he he
If it is the right length I have a '78 4x4 Crew cab shortbed that he could drop the body on!
That would be cool.
samwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
Maddening
Registered Member

Maddening is on a distinguished road

Cool truck.. I don't envy the amount of work it's gonna take to bring it back from the dead though. There is, or was last year anyway, a pretty clean ex-railroad crew cab, same body style as yours, out at Butte auto salvage. The crew cabs are kinda rare too from what I gather. Think the place calls itself Grizzly now. They sell any complete vehicle for $300 usually. Might be a good donor truck for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
Dammit, it's cold here!
...caught the Jeep thing twice recently.

1977 Jeep J10, it's BLUE
2017 Jeep Rubicon, it's GREEN (and For Sale!)
Maddening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 AM   #13
Fix-It
Registered Member

Fix-It is on a distinguished road

at my dads house we have been building a 48 f-5 on a f350 dually chasis
we had converted it to 4wd dually we had run out of funds working on the cab right now ..but the mounts are done motor sitting in the frame just need to finish the stainless grille and get all the seals and seams and line it up to prep for paint ...

it has been sitting that way for the past 3 yrs ...my dad been wanting to finish it with the boys! nothing beats wrenching and wheeling with my dad and baby brother !

that would be a fun project you got ..
Old 10-15-2005, 12:35 AM   #14
Name Brand
Registered Member

The truck was about 8 miles away from the house I grew up in, in Homer. I noticed it about a year before asking about it. I talked with the property owner and he said if I took the whole thing I could have it. The truck was sitting in the same spot when the property owner bought the property in 1981. The truck has about 65,000 miles on the odometer and the keys were still in the ignition! I spent an entire day dragging it out; the frame was resting on the ground and two wheels would not turning. It's gonna live at my place in Homer till I decide to tear into it. It will be a huge project and I only want to do it once.

The wheelbase on this truck is 129 inches, which is exactly the same as a shortcab/longbed of the same bodystyle. (61-63 longbed unibody's may have had a different wheelbase) I don't belive my frame is different at all from any other longbeds. The bed length of my truck is about 5 feet, 8 inches. The cab is 34 inches longer than a shortcab.

I'm not sure when the 6.5 and 8 foot beds became the standard lengths. I would guess the 1957 model year (first year over the hood-over-fender body style and styleside bed for Ford) but I'm not sure. I believe nine foot beds were available as stepsides on the F-350 for many years (I've found pictures of them for at least the 61-66 bodystyle). The factory styleside bed for the 61-66 F-350 was actually the same 8 foot bed as was used on the 57-60 F-series. The body lines don't match up at all! I have personally seen a 78 or 79 F-series with a stepside longbed; wasn't sure if it was 8 or 9 feet though.

The four-door crewcabs Ford started making for the 1965 model year had 6.5 or 8 foot beds. The ones made by Crown or Orville Metal Specialty of Ohio (conversion companies kinda like Marmon-Harrington or Centurion) did come with 'chopped' beds like mine in both styleside and stepside. I suspect that my truck came out of one of those conversion companies factory.

I think this truck would look awesome on the highway pulling a classic Airstream trailer.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
Bronco7890
Registered Member

Bronco7890 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My 1965 F-250

Do you still have this rig? Any updates?

90 Bronco
HPDana 44 SAS, 3/4ton 8 lug conversion,
Dana 70U, 4.56 gears, powerlok, disk brake conversion
6" lift
http://www.supermotors.net/users/Bronco7890
Bronco7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
akrider907
Registered Member

akrider907 has disabled reputation

that looks like quite a resto job lots of rust. Would be a killer truck when you get it done good luck!
akrider907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Name Brand
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco7890 View Post
Do you still have this rig? Any updates?
Yup, still got it and it's still sitting. I need to finish the offroader and a 3-wheeler or two before I get to this one. Those projects won't take too much more time though...

The full factory restore has lost alot of appeal. I was just pondering dropping the cab and front clip on a 1-ton 4x4 Ford chassis with the 7.3L Diesel. A dark blue color (maybe even in a satin finish; check page 36 of Hot Rod Deluxe, May'09 issue) on the cab would look nice with all the chrome. I'd like to add modern features, but keep the dash/door panels looking sorta factory. I'd run about a 33 inch tire, add a flatbed with toolboxes (painted black) and have a nice year round hauler/towrig. I think it'd be a sweet looking rig and alot more useful to me this way.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

something to ponder as well is that cab and front clip will bolt up to a "Highboy" frame with very little mods

My cousin and I built a 65 long bed 1/2 and put it on 75 ford F250 frame and all the mounts lined up like it was supposed to be
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
Name Brand
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
something to ponder as well is that cab and front clip will bolt up to a "Highboy" frame with very little mods

My cousin and I built a 65 long bed 1/2 and put it on 75 ford F250 frame and all the mounts lined up like it was supposed to be
Yup, cab mounts from 1965-1979 were the same. I even have a '76 F250 4x4 chassis (minus rear axle) with a 360FE and C6 I considered. That chassis would take alot of time to clean up as well as an engine swap to get the diesel. Used to be a beach truck in Homer till the body rotted away.

I'm thinking about cutting out the 65's original floor and grafting in the floor that matches the donor chassis. The 65 has some rusted out spots and will need a fair amount of new metal on the floor anyway. It would also set it up for more modern seats too. I'm really liking the idea of fixing the cab and dropping it on a chassis that's all ready to go.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

man i had a really good highboy with a bad cab that I sold this winter that would have been perfect for you bummer
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:14 AM   #21
Maddening
Registered Member

Man, the pics are all gone. Can you throw them up on Photobucket.com or some similar place? I can't even remember what this truck looked like.

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!

1977 Jeep J10, it's BLUE
Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #22
Name Brand
Registered Member

I don't have any pics of it on my new computer; I'd really love to take new ones, but I'm 5300 miles away.

I did find these two pics of it online...

Old 04-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #23
Maddening
Registered Member

Oh hell yeah, those'll work. Now I remember it, cool rig!

Man, if you get it onto something like an F-350 4x4 frame you ought to hang onto that bed too and put it on the rig, it's a kinda cool and unique part of the truck, being super short in front of the wheels like that. Leave the body mostly as is, maybe work the kink out of the front fender, and kinda push the one bedside back in a little but don't paint it or anything, for what it'd be it'd be cool as is! And pretty much just put new glass in it... is it all flat glass except the windshield? Clean up the interior a little, and have a cool old ride. I can dig it.

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!

1977 Jeep J10, it's BLUE
Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #24
Name Brand
Registered Member

I've been thinking about this truck lately and the poor condition it's in. So I made some decisions about the entire Supercab project...

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12121
Old 09-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #25
Maddening
Registered Member

You found another one? How cool is that? And a lot better condition too. Sweet! Now plunk the orange one down on a newer 4x4 frame and make a trail beater out of it!

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!

1977 Jeep J10, it's BLUE