Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Trails/Locations/Land > Trip Reports

Trip Reports Been on a cool 4wheelin' Trip? Tell us all about it here. Tread Lightly principals will be promoted here, just like they are on the trail. Please use extreme caution, and good judgement when posting.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Chistochina

Teaser, just cruzing

https://youtu.be/YLIt0LkMfV0

Broncoformud (Rob) and I set out to explore Chistochina trail. We had some great info from bigugly and contacts in the community. In the 80's this was a popular area but seems to have fallen out of favor.

Rob was already in the area and I arrived Monday evening. Since there was still plenty of daylight we made a short run to see what we were in for. After a mile or so of hard trail the swamps begin. There was only one other set of tracks and they were from an ATV.

We camped at the trailhead and got an early start Tuesday morning. We picked our way thru all kinds of wet, swampy, floating bogs. There were many hours of crawling at a dead slow pace hanging out the window watching, waiting for a wheel to drop and one did a lot. With my rig any attempt to make speed resulted in cutting thru the mat and into the mud. Sometimes it didn't matter and I just had to ease on. It required patience in the extreme. Of 19.5 miles traveled no more than three were hard ground.

Some areas had good timber but none of it is rooted well enough to winch to. Other sections had miles of almost nothing, just scattered brush stunted black spruce. This area was probably the hardest to navigate. Everywhere we looked was water, swamp, bog and evidence that others had been there.

Rob led most of the trip. The thinking was if he can't get thru there is no way I can with my buggy being almost twice the weight of his.

We camped near an old cabin site. You can see it on the USGS topo. On the way out we were planning to go up the small mountain but I missed the turn and we decided not to go back.

There are at least three other trails in the area and Wednesday we went to explore one of them. It didn't have much swamp after the beginning but even tho the trail was on high ground it was still wet, soft and lots of deep mud. Don't ask which trail cause I won't tell. I will say that it has seen almost no use in many years.

These trails make Squaw Creek and Pinochle look like childs play. Chisto is truly the realm of big rigs. But after a few have been down the trail I don't think I'd want to run it in anything!

We had no breakage that couldn't be repaired but by the end of the week a couple of my u-joints should probably be replaced and Rob had one of my homemade wrenches fixed to his rig for reinforcement.

Rob took most of the pics and I've got copies but it takes forever to resize them, put them on photobucket and repost so it'll be a while before I get any posted.

Last edited by snowbear; 08-25-2016 at 08:05 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
ak_cowboy
Registered Member

ak_cowboy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Chistochina

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
Teaser, just cruzing

https://youtu.be/YLIt0LkMfV0
Looks sloppy. Can't wait to see the trip report
ak_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
snowbear

We found that when the beast is stuck it is often better to get out the way it went in

https://youtu.be/_02AFpTicFc
Old 08-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
snowbear

eventually I'll get the time and energy to write a story. For now another video. All these were shot by Rob. This is what you'll find a lot of on the Chistochina. Other sections have nothing but scattered stunted black spruce. None of these trees are good for winching to.

https://youtu.be/6IZc5APXYqU
Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
ak_cowboy
Registered Member

ak_cowboy has disabled reputation

How far back did you end up going? Did you run out of trail or daylight?
ak_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
snowbear

We ran out of energy We went 19.5 miles and stopped when we came to a large pond stretching a couple hundred yards to each side of the trail. Not knowing where the next dry ground was or wanting to walk the pond looking for a crossing we doubled back to pitch camp.

Last edited by snowbear; 08-25-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
snowbear

From the trial run Monday night. Note we had some pretty good weather. It did rain but not so bad that we were soaked all the time.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
snowbear

I made it on the third try

https://youtu.be/IDilJpCROFY

(this is not the Chistochina trail)

Last edited by snowbear; 08-25-2016 at 09:31 PM.