Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Trails/Locations/Land > Trip Reports

Trip Reports Been on a cool 4wheelin' Trip? Tell us all about it here. Tread Lightly principals will be promoted here, just like they are on the trail. Please use extreme caution, and good judgement when posting.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road
Default moose meadows 7/29/17

it was a gnarly trip! lots of mud and waynes tranny decided it had enough slipping around the top of some hill that was close to the end i guess. wayne did alright for having a trans that was slipping and being a two wheeled wonder! that fat pig needs a locker in the rear at least! oh and a larger fuel tank that 460 consumed about 20 gallons of fuel this trip! i think my dodge with the 360 magnum almost used up a 1/4 tank. i think jason was still running off of rover smug and lamp oil.
we got off the trail after the sun disapeared. about 11 hours on the trail. not going to lie, i was fading near the end at the mud holes on the way out. ... the last stretch was pretty miserable as i have the terrible stock dodge ram headlights, and i suppose they were dirty given the amount of mud.
jason lead the way in rover1, which was pretty impressive as he has little difficulty getting around obstacles and mud. we spent most of the time in the swamp winching from trees that almost uprooted. lockers were definitely a must have on this trail! my 44" pitbulls did not clean very well either. if i was able to keep forward movement and see out my windshield ( mud flew everywhere) im sure i would have done better. i would like to run a skinnier and shorter tire. fender flares would be nice but they get ripped off.. but yeah.... mud! decinitely AG country wheeling ! on the way out i dropped off a 3' ledge nose first and my diff cover caught a large rock that eventually had to be pulled out of the way with a tow strap. i couldnt move forward or backwards because of the stuck. thankfully i have a 3/8" ruff stuff diff cover! wayne said he saw sparks! hell. it was still july. go 'murica! we did try to pull me back with my snatch block but that idea went down the toilet when my large snatch block broke jasons synthetic winch line. we used waynes snatch block and pulled me back about a foot to move the **** rock. i proceded to take a poser shot on the rock after. jason joined in on the shot.

the demeanor was great as everyone was chipper and lots of adult humor was tossed around. after seeing rover 1 wheel, i definitely would like to have a shorter wheel based / lighter rig sometime in the near future. i didnt see the famous pipe or tea come out of jason's bag this trip ... guess that was all for the tv show

the technicality of the trail was not too bad either, aside from the mud of course. i think my TSL swampers would have performed exponentially better!
thanks goes out to wayne anx jason for chauffeuring !!

Last edited by ak_petey; 08-02-2017 at 11:13 AM.
ak_petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Greythorn
Registered Member

Greythorn has disabled reputation
Default Re: moose meadows 7/29/17

hey buddy!

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010409053077
Greythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #3
arisjunior
Registered Member

arisjunior has disabled reputation
Default Re: moose meadows 7/29/17

Yikes. 11 hours. Its like a two hour trip on a motorcycle.
35" pro comps
detroit/lockright
Dana 44/30
10k superwinch

=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|@ lllll @|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
arisjunior is offline   Reply With Quote