Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Trails/Locations/Land > Trip Reports

Trip Reports Been on a cool 4wheelin' Trip? Tell us all about it here. Tread Lightly principals will be promoted here, just like they are on the trail. Please use extreme caution, and good judgement when posting.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Winter Solistice Run

Made a trip to the Motor Mushers Cabin and a few miles beyond. No I didn't take any pictures and the gopro videos are crap There were some vids of a hill we were denied, except the rig on ags made it Maybe those will make there way to the interweb.

Blew one master fuse so I guess my electrical gremlins aren't dead and another seized an alternator

And for the record, my multimeter is just fine
Old 12-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
snowbear

Default Re: Winter Solistice Run

While having lunch we talked about having the NYE bonfire and fireworks at the MMC. Folks would need a decent rig and a winch, but we didn't need a winch, in fact never even came close. Rear locker highly suggested. Must be able to air down. You could refill in Willow. With chains just about anyone could make the trip. It was an easy cruise. I think it took just over an hour from the parking lot to the cabin.

So is we choose this spot who would make the trip? Or is it too far? too hard? too ???
Old 12-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
plyr2k
Registered Member

plyr2k is on a distinguished road

Should probably be mentioned in the trip planning thread? The final push on the suburban is in full swing. It's really close. I would love to attend, but I would be without front winch. Was parking a tow rig at the trail head over night sketchy?
"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag .We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language .and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

T. Roosevelt-1907
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Not to steal your thunder Scott but I wanted to mention we are having a huge bonfire out here at the shop if anyone wants to do something without going wheeling. Kid Friendly. Carl has 2 kids, so does Marti and Tim. From 3yrs to around 15. All responsible adults that are having the once a year couple drinks.
Burn pile is about 50x50ft, though we probably won't burn it all at once but feed it with the excavator.

I can open up the upstairs of the shop if anyone wants to sleep the booze off. It's a full house with several bedrooms, nice comfy couch, bathroom, kitchen, etc.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 12-22-2014 at 01:05 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
While having lunch we talked about having the NYE bonfire and fireworks at the MMC. Folks would need a decent rig and a winch, but we didn't need a winch, in fact never even came close. Rear locker highly suggested. Must be able to air down. You could refill in Willow. With chains just about anyone could make the trip. It was an easy cruise. I think it took just over an hour from the parking lot to the cabin.

So is we choose this spot who would make the trip? Or is it too far? too hard? too ???
Were you driving the Toy or the buggy? Was the creek frozen solid?

We were planning on driving the ZJ (stock winter tires) with chains to the glacier (my wife has never actually been to the glacier). There's a snowball's chance that I might risk screwing up my rear springs and driving the Scrambler with it's sketch steering on a winter run to the glacier, but I don't trust it on a trail with any degree of difficulty until I get those two things dialed in.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
snowbear

I was in the toy. The trail is more difficult than the road to the glacier for sure. Most of it is just bumpy. The creek is solid. The only real challenge is the climb from the creek to the cabin. The 'easier' trail has some rocks that make it interesting. The steeper trail is where we were denied. I got further than the jeep but still couldn't get it. Overall I'd give the trail a easy rating and the hill, moderate.

The conditions are awesome for wheeling, probably only a foot of snow. I'd like to go back with the buggy even if it's not for NYE. While trying to get to the Peters Creek Cabin we ended up going cross country and we only turned back due to daylight and it was starting to snow.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
arisjunior
Registered Member

arisjunior has disabled reputation

Hey what did Purches and Peters creeks look like were they clear ice or covered in snow?
35" pro comps
detroit/lockright
Dana 44/30
10k superwinch

=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|@ lllll @|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
arisjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
snowbear

covered in snow
Old 12-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
arisjunior
Registered Member

arisjunior has disabled reputation

No reason we couldnt do two bonfires... one at the shop and one at the MMC just pick two different nites to do them.
35" pro comps
detroit/lockright
Dana 44/30
10k superwinch

=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|@ lllll @|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
arisjunior is offline   Reply With Quote