Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Trails/Locations/Land > Trip Reports

Trip Reports Been on a cool 4wheelin' Trip? Tell us all about it here. Tread Lightly principals will be promoted here, just like they are on the trail. Please use extreme caution, and good judgement when posting.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default NYE Motor Musher Cabin Run

Happy New Year!

WOW, what a run! I am beginning to think that there is nothing better than night winter wheeling.

Gus and Adam busted their buts to put a new rear end in the CC the night before the run. Then they got some wood from our place and from Nate in the morning. Chris got called in to work but managed to get away early in the afternoon.

Mike & Mike + family went up early to recon the trail and set up for the evening activities. We got loaded and started out mid afternoon and were passed by Wayne and Cory while we were stopped at the stores. Gus and Adam met Chris at Willow Fishhook and we found Nick and Skee had managed to get to the trailhead before us.

Wx in Wasilla sucked and we were hoping for cooler temps in the mountains. We were not disappointed. The road up was slick but all managed to make it w/o problems.

The group split up and headed for the cabin just after it got dark. Cory, Nick and Wayne out front and the rest of us behind. There was at least another foot of wet heavy fresh snow on the trail and it was spitting a little rain every once in a while. Not really enough to require using the windshield wipers.

The trip had it's drama like any big run. The trail to the creek was a piece of cake. Skee didn't air down till we were on the trail and with open front and rear did better than anyone ever expected. I was impressed. He out wheeled Nicks locked front and rear over the whole trail. There was really no difficulty until after crossing the creek. The new snow and the hills brought everyone except Chris and Gus (chained on all four) to a halt. Cory was winching Wayne and Nick and then Chis was tugging Nick and Skee.

I started the trip w/5# in the Ags and they still sucked. Somewhere on the hills I dropped them to 2 or less. It still didn't help and was a mistake that I am paying now. I couldn't climb the last steep hills. Being at the back of the pack I was flogging it on every trail I could find and even some that weren't trails. It could crawl thru the snow, up small inclines but even with the hammer down it would just not make the last climb. I finally winched off Chis for the last 75-100'

From there it was time to hang at the cabin, roast hotdogs, BS around the fire and light fireworks.

Wayne stayed the night at the cabin and everyone else started back about 1230-1am. Nick, Skee, Gus and Adam were the first out. Later Cory followed by Mike then Chis and I some time later. We expected everyone to be gone by the time we got to the trailhead.

Turns out Adam broke a valve stem at the creek and when Cory came along he loaned Adam his spare tire. They all arrived at the trailhead just before us. About 200yds from the trailhead my right front blew. Turns out 2# is too low of air pressure. The tube got pinched. I drove it out on a flat.

Getting it on the trailer took a bit of work as the flat tire just slid taking the whole rig to the edge of the trailer. We hooked Nicks winch to the rear pulling sideways and mine to the trailer and managed to get it close enough to get home. I think Chris and Mike were the only ones that didn't winch or need a lick of assistance on the trail.

The conditions for our the ride back down the trail were the best you could hope for. Probably just below freezing, very thin clouds with the moon casting light into the forest and a easy cruise. It ended far too soon.

Thanx for coming out. Hopefully folks will post up their stories, some pics and videos of the nights highlights.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NYE Motor Musher Cabin Run

Thanks for posting, I can sleep now. Did your tire get damaged? Hope not.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
ArcticMania
Registered Member

ArcticMania is on a distinguished road

Mike R. and our families headed out from the trailhead with the Suburban around 1 pm. We took our time and marked the trail with orange ribbon. We met 5 snowmobiles on the their way out. We only had to back up a couple times on the hill to make it up the hill and one of those times was due to stopping to put a ribbon on the tree. Ags do great at climbing although they do slide sideways a bit. We got to the cabin around 3 pm.

The furnace in the cabin was still warm from the Snowmachiners and there was wood left to keep it going. We kept it going while playing in the snow and relaxing. When I got word from Scott that they made it to Purches Creek I turned on the LED's so they would see the cabin easier.

The hill climb took several hours but everyone made it without incident.

Picture of the Suburban not long after we got there.

Finally got to really try out the light bars. Left them on for several hours waiting for everyone to arrive so I wound up having to slave off of Wayne to start the Suburban.

Scott lit off a few fireworks

The kids had fun in the snow. Our kids made snowman sized snowballs before everyone arrived and they all played with them later.

Video Finale

The moon created great scenery on the way out.

One thing Scott didn't mention was the horrible drive home. The road down to Willow was slick but otherwise not too bad. The worst part was the Parks Hwy back to Wasilla was slick and extremely foggy. We left the trailhead a little after 3 am and got home about 4:45 am. The roof lights helped a lot in the fog, at least I could see about 50-100 ft in front.
'90 XJ - 4.0 Inline 6 cyl., D44 front, Ford 9" rear - spooled, 4.88 gearing , tube front bumper with Warn M8000 winch, 10" suspension lift, custom drivetrain and 38" TSL Super Swampers front / Boggers back (soon 95 XJ)
Link to group pic of rigs
ArcticMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Hope the firewood worked out, it's the same stuff we heat the shop with.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

The firewood worked out great nate! Thanks again for the donation it made the night that much better. Wish you could have joined us.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Gus and Adam? (sorry I forgot your name) and his Dad spent almost a full day at the shop fixing lights, adding a fan, etc. It's all Gus wanted in payment!

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

AirmanSkee has disabled reputation

My wife tagged along, and she had a blast. Wish we could have gotten more pictures, but of course, LED bars like to make that difficult.

Here is some of the better pics from the night, and I will also include the link to the full PB album.

Thanks to Chris and Adam for hooking up and getting me out when needed. That first hill I think with a little more skinny pedal and a line a little further right and I would have made it. Best part of the night was passing Nick

Gus' crew cab was loaded to the brim with firewood, but that think was a tank and the only thing that stopped it was the final hill. And had it not been getting hot he probably would have worked his way to the top. I could listen to that turbo bark all day.

AirmanSkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

Next step, rear LockRite for the D70 and a winch on the front. Also, my PS pump is about on its last leg, so that will be redone here soon as well I believe. Should have the reciever up front burned in within the week or so, and hopefully a new drag link to get rid of the doglegged one.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

Also, other than the mishap on the way back down the hill, Adam didn't get stuck the whole way up. He made it up to the cabin under his own power.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
scout
Registered Member

scout is on a distinguished road

Your own winch counts as your own power lol.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
then I made it the whole way on my own power
Old 01-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #13
scout
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
then I made it the whole way on my own power
Me too
Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
snowbear

Old 01-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #15
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

I hate 16.5s. Ill air em down alittle more next time. Come tax season new wheels and 44s are in order.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #16
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

A couple of those first pictures would make a great Christmas photo card.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:33 AM   #17
plyr2k
Registered Member

plyr2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Never even had to winch myself Cory. Pulled cable one time for Skee. Jeep was killing it, until I completely lost a valve stem.

Cory was a tremendous help. He loaned me his brand new spare to get me to the trail head. I found that very generous of him.

Nick, there is 40" ltbs on the blem page for 285$. 47" for 440. Keep your eyes on the bargains there.

Ed, my copilot, and I both had an amazing time. It was nice to meet people in person I haven't met before, and nice to see the people I have met again. The drama was very very minimal. I didn't hear anyone complaining about anything. My fun meter was pegged.

Has anyone heard from Wayne?...
"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag .We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language .and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

T. Roosevelt-1907

Last edited by plyr2k; 01-11-2015 at 10:59 AM.
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:18 AM   #18
scout
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyr2k View Post

Cory was a tremendous help. He loaned me his brand new spare to get me to the trail head. I found that very generous of him.

Has anyone heard from Wayne?...
In case you didn't know this is Cory.

Wayne made it out fine the next day.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #19
plyr2k
Registered Member

plyr2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In case you didn't know this is Cory.

Wayne made it out fine the next day.
I knew mr "Scouts Offroad" like I said, thanks so much. I know Wayne made it out. Ran with him all day today. One small charging issue with the old ford but we got it all figured out. You guys should've came over and said hi. Everyone there would've appreciated it.
"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag .We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language .and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

T. Roosevelt-1907
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #20
scout
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyr2k View Post
I knew mr "Scouts Offroad" like I said, thanks so much. I know Wayne made it out. Ran with him all day today. One small charging issue with the old ford but we got it all figured out. You guys should've came over and said hi. Everyone there would've appreciated it.
I would have, but it was a long day that got longer. I had a group with me that was pretty new and didn't want to drag them all over.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #21
wayne_l
Registered Member

wayne_l has disabled reputation

yep was a blast going up ..I really missed wheeling with my wheeling family .. Man I had fun just being outdoors and having it snow as hard as it did just help peg the fun meter .

the way down next morning was easy even had my daughter drive us out ..snow was crunchy and sticky so we had plenty of traction .. few open holes going across the bogs that madeus pucker a bit but few hits of the skinny pedal did wonders ..

I left a bunch of the firewood in the cabin for next folks to use .. I only had to stoke the fire once whole night and woke up to a nice dry cabin ..

thanks to gus for the firewood ..cant believe he made it up that hill with a cord of wood out back that was nuts .

Corys winch is one bad winch he had me water skiing up that dang hill .. thing is insane .

this whole week has been great fun so glad to be back home and almost walking normal again !

comes with custom seat cover and fuzzy dice for traction !
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #22
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

Ill keep an eye out for the 47s, they sound fun.
I was just happythat my truck didnt puke the transfer case out this time.
Thats honestly the hardest ive beat on it since the 205 went in.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote