Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
AKCCF350
Registered Member

AKCCF350 is on a distinguished road
Default 73-79'ish Ford F100/F250 build

This build will not be as extravagent nor be quite as capable off-road as most of the builds I read on here, but she is what I got. I have asked many questions on here over the last few years that the answers have hepled get me to where I am today.

I will start by saying this, I started this project 3 years ago in hopes tofind a decent 1973 F250 4x4 to build up. The 73 thing never panned out so I started gathering trucks and parts to put a truck together that is both capable as a daily driver and some mild trail runs.

She is finally to the point that I should be able to have it road ready by the end of summer.

Starting three years ago.....

March 2010-
For starters, I picked building a 73 F250 Highboy because that's what my dad had when I was a kid and now he is pretty ill with a terminal lung illness and I thought it would be fun to drive him around in a truck like he use to drive me around in.
All the 73's that I looked at up here that were in decent shape were out of my price range. Now I have purchased a 78 F250 2wd that I am going to use the body off of and put it on which ever 73 F250 doner I can find that runs decent, but the body is shot.
I will post progress as it happens.

My wife just sent me a couple pics of the 2wd with the doner body. I will be swapping out the front grille shell and inserts with the 73 styled one. Overall the body is in pretty good shape. The only major part that needs replacing is the floor pans.

Currently, my truck is under the knife....

Last edited by AKCCF350; 03-27-2013 at 05:43 AM.
AKCCF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Default Re: 73-79'ish Ford F100/F250 build

May 2010 -

I picked up a a rolling chassis with a shot cab abd bed from Strat -It had good axles and was a good start.

Well, last time home, I got to spend almost 10 full days working on the project. I ended up getting a 74 F100 4x4 and will be building it up with F250 axles. We stripped 3 trucks and are putting one truck together out of the parts. I wish I had the space and time to part out the other two trucks worth of parts, but I'm using someone else's garage/shop to do the work and can not leave any parts laying around. It killed me to haul a couple grand worth of parts off to the scrap yard. We got about 40% done putting it back together. The engine/transmission/t-case is in, the body is setting on the frame (not bolted down). We were just starting to hang the doors and get them adjusted (what a pain) when I had to head back to work for a couple weeks. The engine/transmission/t-case for now are 360 / NP435 / Married Dana 21, this combo will work for now, but will change in the future. It's not the best looking or best running, but it'll go down the road when finished.

More to come....

Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
AKCCF350
Registered Member

And a few more...

One of many times it was together and a few hours later, back apart...

Last edited by AKCCF350; 03-27-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Jul 2010 -

Not much progress since summer time is short up here and we do a lot of family activities during this time of the year.
I have been gathering parts though. I bought a 2wd T-18 transmission (to use with the Divorced NP205 I have) and a bunch of other parts. Got the T-18 all cleaned, painted and stabbed in place just to figure out that it has no provisions for the T-Case shifter. No big deal, I'll either use it in my 68 F100 2wd or I'll sell it. Found a NP435 that had the T-Case shifter linkage still attached and gathered a few other misc parts. Now I just need to come up with the crossmember for the Divorced NP205. My front fuel tank runs under tha rear cab mount, so I might either remove the tank all together and run a 33 gal Bronco tank in the rear or fins a shorter tank to run for the front one. I think I like the idea of getting rid of it and using a Bronco tank better, no tank selector valve to wear out and it'll be easier to run dual exhaust with the tank gone.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Oct 2010 -

No new pics to show, but I did get a bit of work done to the truck over the last week.

The engine and transmission are in.
Divorced T-Case crossmember is in and the NP205 is mounted
Front and mid drivelines are in. (the rear one will have to be shortened)
Highboy front springs w/ new bushings are in.

Still a lot to do but she's coming along.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Off to Fire Training....

I'll try and post more tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Nov 2010 -

I asked the wife to shoot me a few pics of the work her father and I had done on the truck. These are not quite what I was looking for, but bless her heart for trying. Pics from her cell phone, but these will need to work for now.

As she sits right now

Highboy springs installed

NP205 and drivelines installed.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
AKCCF350
Registered Member

End Nov 2010 -

We got lots done during the last couple weeks.

The cab and front clip installed.

My crappy grille shell. I am currently looking for a better one locally.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
AKCCF350
Registered Member

More Late Nov 2010 -

The automatic column converted to a manual. The tilt steering is going to be nice.

I had a couple cans of rubberized undercoating laying around and I figured what the heck. It has a couple weeks before I get back home to air out and dry real good. Then I am putting a layer of insulation down before putting the rubber floor mat in place.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Dec 2010 -

Well not much progress with the Christmas Holiday and all. Last time home I spend a little time putting down cab insulation on the floor only to find out the rubber floor mat I bought from NPD was only a half cab cover not the full floor cover. I'll either send it back or sell it locally. (on another note, I just looked at all the parts I ordered from NPD and it looks like they sent some stuff for the wrong year of truck. Looks like more stuff may be going back)

I got my shifter extention mostly built and cleaned up some of the cab wiring that was in shambles. No pictures at this time, due to some brainless guy leaving the camera at work. I'm going to try and get the wife to get some pics for me, but that's not real high on her priority list (and I agree). I decided to go carpet instead of the vinyl floor mat and got that ordered the other day. It will be waiting for me when I get home from work on Jan 5th.

You all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy (and safe) New Year.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Jan 2011 -

A little progress over the last couple weeks. My carpet showed up from Stock Interiors and as stated in many posts about ACC molded carpet for the 73-79 Ford trucks, it was not quite wide enough from door to door. I think I have that problem resolved, but I will not know for sure until I get back home on February 3rd. The color looks good though and I think I will be happy with the finished product. *** Just a heads-up for anyone ordering ACC carpet from any vendor. When you order it, specify that you want it to be shipped "un-trimmed". It will not have that real nice edge binding, but it will give you extra material to work with. ***

The carpet just laid in the cab.

33 Gallon Bronco tank installed.

Rear Spring Shackle Flip (Before)

Rear Spring Shackle Flip (After)

Shackle / Tank pic.

Rear shock mount relocation.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Sept 2011 -

Well with summer being filled with other priority projects and just plain old "life", I have not had much time to work on the truck. A few hours here, a few hours there and sometimes as little as 30 minutes or so. I really wanted to see if I could get the engine to turn over using the key.

Spent some time chasing wires and digging into an ignition problem. The more I dug into the problem and searched for answers, the smaller the problem got. I found a plug on the firewall just above the passenger side valve cover in the engine compartment that had a wire with continuity to the ignition switch in the start position. I ran a wire from that connector to the starter solenoid and she turned over with no problem. That sparked a flame under my rear-end. I topped off the coolant, checked the oil, plugged in the ignition coil, added fuel to the tank and I had to run the carb off an alternate fuel source untill the fuel pump pushed fuel to the carb. I got the old girl to actually run. Still a long way from done, but it was good to hear the engine fire. It's been over a year since I got to hear the engine run.

Because the steering column and the cab I am using is a 78 model and it originally had an automatic transmission (and I am running a manual), it use to have the Neutral Safety Switch plugged into that empty plug on the firewall. I am going to find an old NSS and cut the wiring off it, make a jumper plug for it and get rid of my extra wire I added. It should look factory when I am done.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

Awesome build man. Very clean old Ford. Nice job. Are you going to coat the frame with anything? Maybe POR15?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMan0784 View Post
Awesome build man. Very clean old Ford. Nice job. Are you going to coat the frame with anything? Maybe POR15?
Thanks

At some point maybe, the push has been to get it on the road. It seems the harder I pushed, the slower it moved along....

Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

I know what you mean. You'll get there though...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMan0784 View Post
I know what you mean. You'll get there though...
Without a doubt. Between keping the house up and running and the fleet of three other vehicles service requirements.... we'll just say the 4x4 build has been set to the back burner a few times.

This is my summer cruiser, but it needs some work this summer too

I know, shut up and

Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Late Sept 2011 -

I got the plug and wiring for the NSS plug I was looking for. Now I just need to come up with the plug that goes to the reverse lights switch on the NP435. Once I get that I can hook up my reverse lights and also hook up a clutch interupter switch on the clutch pedal. I would hate for a friend to jump in the truck and forget to push in the clutch before starting it.

I did not have much time to work on the truck last time home, but I did make a little progress. I got all the exterior lights working.

I need to locate the wide chrome trim for the front and back windows. The poor girl needs some glass real bad.

I also made some progress on my custom shifter knob. This is just my mock-up. Once it's completed it should be a lot better looking.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Oct 2011 -

Well, I got a bit of work done over the last few weeks. I decided it was time to rebuild the 2 barrel carb that was leaking all over the place as well as the intake that was leaking oli all over. Since I already had a Barry Grant 4 Barrel carb w/ a rebuild kit and an Edelbrock Performer 390 Intake, instead of rebuilding the old stuff, I rebuilt the new (old) stuff. While I had the intake off, I noticed the exhaust manifold was leaking. As I prayed for no broken bolts and removed the exhaust manifolds, I got lucky, they all came out without a hitch, a little scarry at times, but none of them broke.

While everything was apart, I ran into a couple of unexpected deals on parts. I scored a set of headers and a D.U.I. Distributor for a decent price. So, now the engine will have a 625 Road Demon Jr. carb, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, D.U.I. Distributor, headers, new water pump and new fuel pump. I need to finish the fuel lines, throttle linkage, valve cover gaskets, re-install all the engine acessories and try to fire this baby back up.

I think I have a line on a Sport Steering Wheel and a set of Aluminum M/T Valve Covers too.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Nov 2011 -

The seller accepted my bid on the Sport Steering Wheel, but my original deal fell through on the M/T Valve Covers. I bid on another set on eBay, it's amazing how the price almost doubled the last 5 minutes of the auction. I ended up paying a little more than I wanted to, but at least it's done and they are on the way. I should have stopped about $20 before I did, oh well.

Looks like I need to do some cleaning on the firewall and the inner fenders, they look horrible in the pics.

I love the color of my truck and I hope the engine compartment cleans up well. I'm sure it'll be good enough. If I was smart (which I never claim to be), I would have cleaned it up real nice while the cab was off the frame. Something about that hindsight 20/20 thing just kicked me in the teeth.....

located the wide stainless trim for both the front and rear windows. Ordered up the good gaskets from Bronco Graveyard and a few small odds and ends added to the order, got a smokin' deal on an old Sun Tach (I think, as I know nothing about tachs), I already have the solid window for the rear, Now I just need to locate a good windshield.

I need to stay off the internet, it's getting expensive.......

Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Late Nov 2011 -

I got the restrictors installed in the rocker arms, valve covers installed, new radiator hoses and heater hoses installed, oil pan gasket replaced, the body is all adjusted and bolted down (as good as it's going to get for now).
Still a ways to go and a bunch of tidying up to be done, but any progress is good progress.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Dec 2011 -

So I had a couple hours today and decided to remove my sliding rear window, because it was trashed and start the install of my solid rear glass. Got the old one removed, and started installing the new gasket, the expensive one from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, I was able to get it installed and then noticed it did not have the groove for the wide trim. I double checked the invoice and it said I ordered the one for the wide trim. Now I have to get a hold of them on Monday and see what they are going to do about it. I am torn as to what I want to do at this point. Just not worry about the trim or wait to get the right gasket and install the trim. That trim looks like it would be a pain in the you know what to install.

I leave Tuesday morning for a few weeks, so that means if I wait for the new gasket, I will not get to install the rear glass until after the New Year.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
AKCCF350
Registered Member

March 2012 -

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 15:07
I've been away for a while, pretty busy with family stuff. With working extra shifts and my daughter being born on December 30 of last year, things have been pretty crazy.

I have a wonderful wife that supports my efforts on the truck even when she can't understand "what's taking so long".....

Just before I had to head back up to work, I was able to drive the ol'girl out of the shop under her own power. She is now parked outside and I gave my father-in-law his parking spot back after me keeping it warm for about two years.

Although there are still a million things to do, this was a big step for me. Here she is in all her glory.

Last edited by AKCCF350; 03-27-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #23
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Jan 2013 -

Well 2012 blasted by and I worked on small projects with the truck. It was in and out of the shop here and there, but no major progress.

A few small things:
Added Zero Rate Springs to the rear to move the axle back about 1-1/2". Still not perfect, but good enough.
Replaced the pinion yoke on the 10.25 to the propper one and it took care of the slop problem I had.
Mounted the 37's up on the slot mags
Mounted the Buckshots up on an old set of Outlaw I style rims (Thanks TURK). These are hard to find in 16" 8-lug.

We had a real warm spell come through for a few days and really messed things up around here. Everything was covered in ice once the rain stopped.

Here she sits..... Still needing much love.

1-7-13

1-18-13 (we finally got a little more snow)

Planned Progress for 2013:
Send the distributor out to be recurved for my truck
Get the carb running right
Rebuild front brakes.
RedHead Steering Gearbox
Decide if I am going to go Hydroboost or not. (the MC and Booster need to be replaced if I don't)

Last edited by AKCCF350; 03-27-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Feb 2013 -

A little progress over the last couple weeks. I started knocking things off my 2013 list.

I pulled the distributor and got it mailed out to be recurved. I got a call from the shop doing the re-curve and they found a couple problems that need to be addressed. I ordered a new carb for it as well. The distributor and carb should be at my house waiting for me when I get home in a couple weeks.

I found the hydroboost parts a a local wrecking yard. They were pulled and delivered to me last week.

I picked up the new rotors, pads, reman calipers, wheel seals and custom front brake hoses.

I pushed the truck into the shop and tore the front brakes down. Unfortunately, when I was putting it all back together, I decided that I want the front axle to have 9/16" lug studs instead of 1/2", because they are bigger & stronger as well as they would match the rear Ford 10.25 axle.

I found out the Dorman 610-278 is the stud to use, but at $4 each, I am going to try and find some used early 80's hubs and use those. If I can't find any on the cheap, I'll just bite the bullet and get the $$$$$ studs.

One more thing I thought was highway robbery was when I priced a Warn Hub service kit locally, $40 and for what... 2 o-rings, 12 socket head cap screws and a couple clips.... not a chance.

I talkes to my local Granger sales rep. I am getting 25 of the correct screws in stainless steel for $10, a couple o-rings from the Parker store for a couple bucks a piece and my clips are just fine.

More to come in a couple weeks..... That is if I get a chance to work on the truck.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Last hitch home -

Well I tore the front end back apart to try out my new toy, a little 12 ton press.

I drilled the hubs with a 39/64" drill bit and pressed in the new 9/16" lugs. (got rid of the little 1/2" lugs)

I also picked up some new jack stands, a little 12 Ton pair.