Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
bigun
Registered Member

bigun is on a distinguished road
Default new pics 6/7/05-- Extreme Make over FSJeep style wefinally named it

Hello from NM. I have been working on an extreme make over of my 76 jeep Cherokee. We are putting a 75 J20 cab on the Cherokee frame. Now I know you are all sitting out there saying "Bigun Why in the world are you doing that?" I am glad you asked! I traded my 78 4X4 ford van body schoolbus that I used for a shop truck(I am an electrical contractor) to a general contractor for his 76 cherokee. The old fords motor was down to 7 cylinders and the other guy expresed an interest in it if I ever got rid of it he wanted it to turn it into a hunting wagon. Well he had this old Jeep so we traded titles. I knew hat the jeep had a bad rear end, former owner used it to tow his 6000Lb construction trailer. He was one of these guys that when his left foot came off the floor his right foot found it. With 4.10 gears a T18 tranny and 32X12.50X15 B.F. Goodrich Mudders something has to give and in this case it was the ring gear. So the first thing we tried to do was install a ford 9 inch No Worky Jeep offsets their rear diff to get by the fuel tank. We then came up with the J20 the owners had lost the title so we picked it up for $300. While we were putting the J 20 axles under the cherokee we relised that the floor boards in the thing were nothing but rust. After much discussion we decided that even though the J 20 was just as rusty there was less of it to repair so we decded to put the pick up cab on the cherokee frame. ( before any of you have further questians of my sanity the we is my partner in insanity Craig AKA Black Bart ace fabricator he has to be to keep his families collection of ancient bulldozers and front end loaders opperating) I have spent sometime here lurking and gathering ideas it is interesting how different regions of the states approach the same problems. I hope you enjoy the show. Now the first pick is of the redneck rear window we put in last year when we were warned of a nasty snow storm headed our way (well it was nasty for us anyway)

Ok front sheet metal has been removed and body bolts are out we can now move it into the shop. Since this is a working ranch we try not to block in the shop so that ranch equipment can be worked on with out having to remove anything. The loader is a michigan loader known as mitch it is powered by a 50s dodge industrial flathead gas engine. Craig did the install

here Craig is using chain hoist to pick the body off the frame. I think he is having to much fun LOL

pulling the tranny and transfer case is so easy when you don't have a body in your way. The clutch will be replaced and the single stick Dana 20 will be replaced with a twin stick out of a scout.

Here is an iteresting fact if you are putting a J 20 cab on a cherokee frame
you have to move the front body mount back 3 inches. The J10 will bolt to the Cherokee frame and the J20 will bolt to the Wageneer frame

Here the tranny and transfer case are back in and the exhaust is run exhaust starts off with 3 inch at the headers then dumps into 3.5 the muffler was installed just before the 90 so as to keep the whole exhaust as high as possiable and out of the rocks as much as possiable.

hurray the cab is back on and one of the M715 fenders is hung so we can get an idea of what it is going to look like

I hope you like our progress so far I'll post more later

Last edited by bigun; 05-28-2006 at 06:34 PM.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
AKBearMoose
JK WK F350 F150

AKBearMoose is on a distinguished road

Alright another FSJ build

Help me...I caught the Jeep thing!

( ||||||| )
o _________ o
\__o__o__/

AKBearMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:22 AM   #3
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

looking good. Cut them doors already!

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
bigun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak Dodge
looking good. Cut them doors already!
The neat thing with FSJs is the front doors from cherokee will work also.
Here is our headache rack/roll bar made from 2 3/8s heavy wall structural pipe. We went for the farm truck headache rack look. The braces were set in such away that later on we can cut the frame off at the rear spring hangers. We could then use a 4X6 heavy wall tubing that way we can move the spring hanger down and do a shackle flip at the same time.

The uprights are supported by a plate welded to the bottom of the frame and the top, they will be tied togather with a piece of quarter inch thick angle iron welded to the frame and the plates.

view from the back

out of the shop one of the bulldozers blew a head so I'll be hanging the front sheet metal out in the field.

will post more as we make more progress

Last edited by bigun; 05-13-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
Black Bart
Registered Member

Black Bart is on a distinguished road

Jimminey cricket on a crutch! I've got a bald spot! I look like me dear old pop from the top!
Yore one cruel lektrician for postin a pic of me bald noggin fur all the world to see.
Revenge will be swift.

Chrome draws sniper fire. - Black Bart
Black Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
bigun
Registered Member

For those who aint figured it out Blackbart is Craig the guy you see in all these pics he is the fabricator who is able to turn my ideas in to realalty. I have no idea who let him out of his cave!!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #7
bigun
Registered Member

ok this is Rufus he explained to me that if his pic wasn't on the net he was going to do bad things to the jeep

and since I put Rufus in I decided I had better give Dog his time too

Ok here they are my new used 37X12.5X16.5s with M715 fender mounted so we could drool

This is an unknown year Allis Chalmers rear tractor fender What do you think? Beaware that it is only sitting on jackstands at ths point.

Ok here is how they look togather sorry about how dark it is.You will knowtist that they complement each other we will be removing some of the metal from the rears so as to keep it out of the rocks

Here you see the rear from the back the bead near the outside of the fender and the fact that they were laying out in a feild made them very attractive
Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

I miss being on the farm... brings a tear to my eye seeing all that stuff

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
Fix-It
Registered Member

Fix-It is on a distinguished road

i want to see more pics of the old scout in the back ground ! looks like few very nice old rigs back there to wrench on !

being i own a 79 cherokee cheif i like your write up . looks good . i would like to fing those same front fenders but alaska seems to hiding them on me .
Old 05-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #10
bigun
Registered Member

The scout has the running gear out of a ramcharger 360 4 speed and 208? I think I'll make sure on it before I commit to an answer maybe Black Bart will see your questian and answer it for you
Old 05-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #11
Black Bart
Registered Member

The scout in the background belongs to Tank, a buddy of mine. The scout's name is Bad Juju. It is set up for small block dodge, NP 435/208. The axles may not stay under it for long beuns it will be shortly recieving a 13:1 tunnel ram full roller 360 mopar. Since the kid works for a living and doesn't sell meth, it takes quite a while for the funds to accumulate to buy stuff. But we hope to have it running sometime this year.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #12
bigun
Registered Member

What Bart didn't say is the guy who owns it is 5 foot 4? 230 pounds of muscle. Hence the nick name Tank
Old 05-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #13
1wook
Registered Member

1wook is on a distinguished road

So what is it? A terra? Kinda looks like an 80 or an 800 moddified to a cab only.

Looks like an interesting project.
1wook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 PM   #14
Black Bart
Registered Member

Its a scout 80 around 62 model. It has a dummy motor, transmission and t/c all mounted in. It still needs the real engine installed, new brakelines plumbed, the floorboards and firewall patched , and alot of tlc before it moves.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #15
bigun
Registered Member

Well things have been kinda slow but this week end we got some bracing of the roll bar done. Braces were made from precuts from local supply. we used two at each place and boxed the side opposite the pipe. first pic is craig welding the box into the brace

first corner brace is in

Top braces are in the long one in the middle will also help support the tire

Last edited by bigun; 06-05-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #16
Maddening
Registered Member

Maddening is on a distinguished road

That thing's gonna look pretty good, all business!
Maddening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #17
bigun
Registered Member

Tank bracketts welded up and tank is bolted down. What you can't see in these pics is the fact that Craig Ie Black bart,Sunday after I left picked the cab up off the frame and finished welding the roll bar and gussets that he couldn't get to because the cab was in the way. He also completed boxinig in the bottom of the roll bar at that time

Old 06-07-2005, 08:23 PM   #18
bigun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddening
That thing's gonna look pretty good, all business!
Thanks as I stated in my opening I have been reading various builds on this web site and others and rellised that the minumlist approach build up is best. I am not saying there will not be any luxurys on board, but they will definatly only be those that inhance the drivabliity, safety, or fun.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #19
sixditchoffroad
Registered Member

sixditchoffroad is on a distinguished road
Default sweet

Wow that thing is awsome....... What are you gonna do about the rust/rotting? leave it?
sixditchoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #20
bigun
Registered Member

We've patched the floor boards in the cab unfortunatly those pics are lost.as for the rest of the truck we are under a dead line to have it up and running in time to go to Ouray Co. for the annual Full size Jeep Uninvasion13-17 of July. After that we are planning on painting. The only thing to be painted before it leaves the shop at this time will be the roll bar because if it gets real rusty it will be a pain to clean up.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:09 AM   #21
bigun
Registered Member

Well it has been some time since I posted pics mainly because shop is so dark that you can't see anything from pics. So yesterday Bart and I rolled it out to take pics and sweep out the shop. we still neeed to mount taillights and box the frame at roll bar mounts. Then paint!!
-
-
The sharp eyed will notice two things the rear fenders have been cut off we had to they were just to long and thenthe rear has been radused and then edge has been rolled to keep anyone from getting hurt. Rear frame cross member has also been cut flush with the frame for same reason.
Propane set up caused us to have to cut a hole in hood to clear it. I have a propane carb but the airfilter box for it was close to a $100. and so we went with a modified duel fuel set up. Runs great we also pulled the head snagger out and are going with oldstyle hood latchs outside on the fenders backed up by hood pins.
-
The hood scoop and hood vents scoop is homemade but from what?? The vents are from Chrysler Lebaron
-
tie downs for the bed and fender mounts there is a third bolt at the front under the propane tank. The space between the fender and bed is going to be turned into battery boxs for two optima batteries for future use!
-
Old 06-21-2005, 06:15 AM   #22
bigun
Registered Member

Well it has been some time since I posted pics mainly because shop is so dark that you can't see anything from pics. So yesterday Bart and I rolled it out to take pics and sweep out the shop. we still neeed to mount taillights and box the frame at roll bar mounts. Then paint!!

The sharp eyed will notice two things the rear fenders have been cut off we had to they were just to long and thenthe rear has been radused and then edge has been rolled to keep anyone from getting hurt. Rear frame cross member has also been cut flush with the frame for same reason.
Propane set up caused us to have to cut a hole in hood to clear it. I have a propane carb but the airfilter box for it was close to a $100. and so we went with a modified duel fuel set up. Runs great we also pulled the head snagger out and are going with oldstyle hood latchs outside on the fenders backed up by hood pins.

The hood scoop and hood vents scoop is homemade but from what?? The vents are from Chrysler Lebaron

tie downs for the bed and fender mounts there is a third bolt at the front under the propane tank. The space between the fender and bed is going to be turned into battery boxs for two optima batteries for future use!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #23
redbulltoy
Registered Member

redbulltoy is on a distinguished road

This has got to be the most ghetto fab red neck mobile i have ever seen in my life... Thats not nesicarily a bad thing though!

A rig with that much "personality" needs a name at least...
redbulltoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #24
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbulltoy
This has got to be the most ghetto fab red neck mobile i have ever seen in my life... Thats not nesicarily a bad thing though!

A rig with that much "personality" needs a name at least...
You know...this thing might not be the way I would do it...or the way you would do it....but I am having a hard time finding anything "Wrong" with it....

I agree it should have a name.....
Old 06-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #25
bigun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
You know...this thing might not be the way I would do it...or the way you would do it....but I am having a hard time finding anything "Wrong" with it....

I agree it should have a name.....
We have been bouncing names around for a while the two still in the running are
Jurasic Parts
And
Defiance as in we have pretty much defied conventional wisdom with our build
all name suggestions will be considered